Programming Associate - US Independents
- Position Type : Contract
- Start Date : May-27-13
- End Date : September-20-13
January 30, 2013
TIFF, a vibrant not-for-profit arts organization, is accepting
applications for the contract position of:
PROGRAMMING ASSOCIATE, FESTIVAL PROGRAMMING – US INDEPENDENTS
This will be an exciting year for TIFF as we present unique programming in our new home and the world's premiere centre for film, TIFF Bell Lightbox. We are seeking a highly motivated individual who wants to be part of a new era in Toronto's cultural history.
Reporting to the Senior Manager and Senior Coordinator of Festival Programming, the Programming Associate is responsible for screening and providing structured feedback on unsolicited film submissions from the U.S., for providing administrative support to an International Festival Programmer in the lead up to and during the Festival and for facilitating events and screenings primarily related to the Festival’s U.S. independent selection.
• Pre-screening unsolicited, and solicited (the latter only as directed), international film submissions;
• Writing reports on screened submissions, according to established templates;
• Uploading reports to the relevant database record in a timely manner;
• Assisting with programme note writing as directed;
• Becoming familiar with the invited films in the relevant International Festival Programmer’s selection, including the companies attached and the guests that will be attending the Festival;
• Conducting relevant community outreach, as directed by and according to established processes of the Festival Programming and Marketing departments;
• Liaising with film guests and the Guest Services team re: travel and accommodation arrangements in the lead up to and during the Festival;
• Working with the Interpreters’ Manager, Festival Programming to ensure that any interpretation requests are met;
• Working with the relevant Festival Publicist(s) to coordinate interview opportunities for guests;
• Assisting with coordinating invitations to official Festival events;
• Coordinating and hosting Programmer dinners;
• Introducing films and moderating Q&A sessions as necessary;
• Providing additional administrative support to the relevant International Festival Programmer and the Festival Programming department as necessary.
Contract Dates: May 27 – September 20
• 2-3 years experience in film pre-screening, programming or related work in a festival setting;
• Knowledge of international cinema and the international film industry;
• Experience writing about film (criticism, essays, articles);
• Excellent administrative and organizational skills, with a keen eye for detail;
• Proficiency with computers and applications (including Microsoft Office Suite and FoxPro or similar relational database);
• Mature personal judgment, exhibiting a high level of professionalism and diplomacy;
• Able to handle difficult situations and people with aplomb and grace;
• Excellent phone manner, communication fluency and interpersonal skills;
• Experience speaking in front of large groups and interacting with audiences;
• Ability to work and respond well in fast-paced and high pressure environments with a flexible schedule, including some evenings and weekends;
• Degree or diploma in Film Studies or related area preferred.
Please submit cover letter, resumé, 3 film reviews (maximum 250 words each) and the names and phone numbers of 3 references attached as a PDF or Word document (we do not accept Cloud hosting or File Sharing programs), by 5pm on Wednesday, February 13 BY EMAIL ONLY to the attention of Hiring Committee: Programming Associate, Festival Programming – US Independents
TIFF Email: firstname.lastname@example.org *Please note the position in the subject line*
Please note in your cover letter where you saw this job posting.
We thank everyone who applies for their interest, but only candidates selected for an interview are contacted. No telephone or walk-in inquiries please. All applications are considered confidential.
TIFF is an equal opportunity employer.
TIFF is a charitable, not-for-profit cultural organization whose mission is to transform the way people see the world. Its vision is to lead the world in creative and cultural discovery through the moving image.