Skip to schedule and film credits
Film distribution companies that buy/distribute children's films in Canada will be on hand to answer your questions and provide feedback on market trends and the types of properties they are interested in acquiring.
Speakers to include, Jessica Labi (VP of Acquisitions and New Business Development, Phase 4 Films), Laura Clunie (VP of Creative Affairs, eOne Family), Federico Vargas (Director of Sales, CCI Entertainment) and Eric Sorenson (Director of Research & Content, Kidobi)
- Josh Scherba
- Josh Scherba, SVP, Distribution joined DHX Media in 2000, and currently leads the sales and distribution operations teams. DHX Media is a leading international supplier of television programming, with an emphasis on children, family and youth markets. In his role, Scherba oversees the distribution arm of DHX Media with a catalogue that includes programming from all of DHX Media's production studios in Halifax, Toronto and Vancouver, as well as third party properties, totaling over 8,500 half hours. In addition, Scherba directly manages broadcaster sales for the United States, and the United Kingdom.
- Laura Clunie
- Laura Clunie is Vice President, Creative Affairs for eOne Family. Prior to joining eOne, Laura was a producer at the UK brand company Chorion, and worked across development and production on hit brands such as Noddy, The Famous Five and Mr. Men & Little Miss. At eOne Family, Laura works on such series as Ben and Holly's Little Kingdom and the pre-school sensation Peppa Pig, develops animated and live-action concepts, both linear and digital, for the pre-school to tween audience, and is also responsible for the acquisition and development of properties to add to the company's portfolio.
- Federico Vargas
- Federico Vargas is the Vice President of Sales for CCI Entertainment and an established media executive, specializing in global entertainment content sales and international distribution. He is experienced in all facets of distribution, having served as manager of operations and acquisitions at CCI, before moving into sales, where he previously held the post of Director of Sales. As VP of Sales, Vargas generates global revenue for the kids' movies and lifestyle catalogues. He maintains strong industry relations with key partners and broadcasters in Europe, Australasia, and Latin America, and attends major industry trade fairs, including MIPCOM, MIPTV, AFM, ATF, NATPE, Kidscreen, and TIFF. Vargas is a graduate of both the RTA School of Media and the CFC.
- Eric Sorenson
- Eric Sorenson is Director of Research & Content at Kidobi, where he is responsible for content acquisitions, research & development, and strategic partnerships. Prior to joining Kidobi, Sorenson worked in the Preschool Language Lab at the University of Toronto, where he specialized in linguistic fieldwork. He has extensive experience working with preschool kids, and has worked as a researcher, tutor, and product developer. He is passionate about education, technology, and children's media.
- Xiaojuan Zhou
- Xiaojuan Zhou has been involved in international film and television co-production, marketing and distribution for two decades. An executive at China Film Group in the early 1990s, she is now the President of Delphis Films, part of Attraction Media Group and a world leader in promoting and distributing high-quality family feature films. Among the animation titles that Delphis Films distributes worldwide include the animated feature Luke and Lucy: The Texas Rangers (09), the stop-motion series Dragon (licensed to NBC in the US as well as 70 other countries), and many others.
- Brad Horvath
- Brad Horvath is a producer and content rights strategist, and currently manages international film acquisitions and North American sales for the Toronto-based distributor Ouat Media. Before joining the team, Horvath directed and produced short and contemporary dance films, music videos and documentaries that have been licensed to television broadcasters and invited to screen at film festivals around the world. He has also produced theatrical productions and a television series, as well as associate produced two feature films. Horvath is a regular contributor to Indiewire's blog network and is a frequent speaker and jury member at film festivals. He holds a Bachelor of Science in Psychology from Dalhousie University, with concentrated studies in Film.
- Jessica Labi
- Jessica Labi, Vice President, Acquisitions for Phase 4 Films Inc., got her start in 2001 in the family home entertainment division, kaboom! Entertainment. She has since grown within the company, overseeing various roles including sales, marketing and new business development. She now leads the acquisitions for distribution rights for kids and family content. Labi managed the launch of Phase 4's theatrical division in Canada and successfully obtained the designation from Telefilm as a recognized Canadian theatrical distributor, eligible for feature film marketing funds.