With a commitment to emerging filmmakers a cornerstone of our Festival, we are pleased to announce two new initiatives exclusively for filmmakers whose films are being showcased in our Discovery Programme.
GROLSCH FILM WORKS DISCOVERY AWARD
As the official beer of TIFF and presenting sponsor of the Festival Discovery Programme, Grolsch is spotlighting its global commitment to emerging filmmaking talent by awarding a filmmaker for his or her exceptional journey to date.
Grolsch has invited all filmmakers with films in the 2012 Toronto International Film Festival's Discovery Programme to be considered for the award. Entrants' "back stories" — including how the filmmaker has expressed his or her passion for filmmaking throughout their life to date, and what innovative and interesting choices have they made to ultimately get their film made — are considered by the GROLSCH FILM WORKS DISCOVERY AWARD jury. The award’s core concept is to not only honour the film itself, but to celebrate the filmmaker for his or her interesting journey and incredible achievement of having a film selected and screened as part of the 2012 Toronto International Film Festival®.
The award consists of a $10,000 cash prize to be put toward the winner’s next project, along with a package of marketing opportunities that will help shine a spotlight on the filmmaker and his or her film.
DISCOVERY FILMMAKER VIDEO VIGNETTES
In order to learn more about the filmmaking journey, TIFF has asked all eligible filmmakers to submit a video of themselves answering these questions:
- What inspired you to make your film?
- What’s the biggest personal or professional obstacle that you’ve had to overcome in order to make your film?
- What is the most interesting choice you’ve made on your journey to becoming a professional filmmaker?
- Where has the film played to date? Where would you like it go next?
- Why is it important for you to have your film included in the Toronto International Film Festival's Official Selection?
- How did you fund your film?
- Why should audiences watch your film?
Here are their answers:
Michiel ten Horn, The Deflowering of Eva van End
Andrew Williamson, The Land Of Eb
Pablo Berger, Blancanieves
Ramaa Mosley, The Brass Teapot
Jan Van Roey, Satellite Boy
Sébastien Betbeder, Les Nuits avec Theodore
Ektoras Lygizos, Boy Eating the Bird's Food
Juan Carlos Maneglia and Tana Schémbori, 7 Boxes